Pages

Monday, March 16, 2009

Evelyn Bryan Johnson: Just has over 50,000 hours in the air...

Every day I input a handful of names into the Women Aviators Wiki. Today I came across the story of Evelyn Bryan Johnson, and I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that this is the first time I've heard of her.

She was born in 1909 and is still alive at the time of this writing...although she stopped her flight instructor training in 2006 as the result of glaucoma, she is still the manager of the Morristown, Tenn., city airport. At 100 years old, she still doesn't feel old enough to retire.

She's in the Guinness Book of World Records: the 57,635.4 flight hours she has logged during her career are the most flying hours of record for any female pilot.

Her male counterpart, John Edward "Ed" Long, has more than 64,000 hours -- seven years -- in the air.

Read more at:
http://www.avweb.com/news/profiles/182968-1.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ALoha, I am looking for Alverna Williams, double amputee woman pilot. My father in law celebrated his 89th birthday today. He and Alverna were engaged many years ago (after Guy's kids were adults) in Colorado, but things did not work out for them. He never got over her, and wonders how she is doing. Can you help me locate her?
Donna Nooney
nooney@hawaiiantel.net