Pages

Monday, December 8, 2008

Time Keeps on Slippin' Into the Future...

I've been having a ton of fun inputting data into the Women Aviators Wiki and a lot of the names have been culled from the Wings of their Own documentary.

I'm about inputted out for a while, though, so now it's time to get back to work on what I should be working on, namely my own stuff for my various webzines, The Thunder Child Science Fiction webzine and Winged Victory: Women in Aviation.

To that end, I'll get started today and writing the formal review of the Wings of their Own doc, which I'll be publishing at Winged Victory. It's actually quite a good doc, and one I recommend to everyone (it'd make a nice Christmas present ; ) ) with that one glaring flaw which is the fact that most of the women aren't identified while they're speaking.

However, if you go to their website, there is a cute picture of a little girl in a monoplane holding a bunch of roses (I'm assuming the image comes from a vintage postcard), and, if you click on that image, you're taken to a list of each woman on the doc, and their photos, in order of their appearance on the doc.

This is an excellent and very much needed resource, and it is HIDDEN. IF you dont' read the text above the image, which says,
To learn more about
the Pilots in this film,
and Women in Aviation,
CLICK ON THIS PICTURE

you'd never know that info was there. And yes, that's four lines of text, but it doesn't stand out in such a way that the casual observer is going to see it!!!!

Just makes me want to spin their propellers! (I'm trying to come up with aviation-centric exclamations.)

No comments: