Pages

Friday, November 13, 2009

The Ninety-Nines: Yesterday-Today-Tomorrow

First off, let me give a shout out to Turgid Tomes, owned by Gwil Owen, at 3409 Marlborough Ave, Nashville, TN 37212, a used-book emporium. I had ordered a copy of The Ninety-Nines, Yesterday-Today-Tomorrow from them, and it arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, yesterday was the second day of straight solid rain with freight train winds and solid rain, and I wasn't going out to check my mailbox, much as I love getting mail. (Kudos to my mail person for even delivering in that weather!)

So I went out today, and I live in townhouse type setup with a central mail box area, and a separate box for big parcels, and there was my book, in a box, with one whole corner of it wet. And I thought, damn. There goes $20 down the drain.

But, not so. Turgid Tomes had placed it in a quality-plastic wrapping within the soaked-through box, and this very expensively produced book, which I got for a song, is in pristine condition.

Turner Publishing Company. 1996.Oversized book on heavy duty glossy paper, like the Time-Life books have. It's a pleasure just to hold it, and of course the info inside is invaluable. Bios and photos of hundreds of 99 pilots from the organization's inception to 1996.

The Women Aviatior's Wiki is about to take a great leap forward in terms of entries!

Pilots entered today:
Doris Abbate
Mary Ann Abbott
Della Abernathy

No comments: